Tuesday 23 June 2015

Microbes and my weekend


This weekend I am meeting up with some friends who I have not met for a while. Over dinner I am sure we will enjoy a glass of wine or two. I like wine, whether to accompany a nice meal or while relaxing in front of the fire or watching TV. Of course I have microbes to thank for this pleasure.

Alcoholic drinks and microbes go hand in hand. Beer, wine and other such drinks are great examples of how microbes have influenced our lives. Alcoholic drinks are produced by a yeast called Saccharomyces cervesiae. The yeast uses sugars in grains or fruit to grow but in doing so produces alcohol as a waste product. This process is called fermentation and humans have been taking advantage of this natural metabolic process for a very long time. These days, companies harness fermentation to make litres and litres of beer to sell around the world but humans have been doing this for millennia (see John P. Arnolds book; ISBN 978-0-9662084-1-2).

Many people don’t realise the importance that wine has had on developing the whole field of microbiology and in doing so set in motion the discoveries of antibiotics, causative agents of infectious disease and food spoilage, biotechnology, recombinant insulin for diabetics, microbial fuel cells and so on. OK, maybe I am stretching it a bit but let me explain.

In 1856 one of the founding fathers on microbiology, Louis Pasteur, was approached by a wine maker to figure out why his wine spoiled during storage. Pasteur discovered that microorganisms were to blame and developed a method of mild heating (pasteurisation) to kill off these microbes and prevent future spoilage. With his interest piqued with these microbes, Pasteur went on to describe microbes that can grow without oxygen, microbes that cause disease in silk worms and laid a foundation for the development of proper hygiene in medicine thanks to Joseph Lister.

Of course, while I may enjoy my night out this weekend I have to be careful not to drink too much. If I do, I risk suffering the next morning. Anyone who has had a night of excess drinking will be all too familiar with the terrible hangover that comes knocking the following morning. Nausea, dizziness and headaches all lead to a rather nasty experience. While over consumption of a microbial waste product might get me drunk, recent research has shown that inebriation may not be the last time microbes play a role in my night out. Tim Spector at The Guardian wrote a nice piece on this:   


 It would appear that after excessive drinking, the bacteria in our gut may produce large amounts of LPS and cause inflammation which makes us feel sick (Bala et al., 2014). This may be down to a change in the population of bacteria in the gut and to help stave off this event it seems that a high fibre diet reduces the effect (Canesso et al., 2014). It is known that a high fibre diet is important in order to maintain a healthy gut, one that is rich in different bacterial species.

Perhaps this knowledge will help me choose what to eat with my glass of wine this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment